- Refers to the speed and amount of rotations of the rotor.
- High speed spinning reels generally have a higher speed ratio of 6.0:1. This means that the rotor will rotate six times with one revolution of the handle.
- A lower gear ratio is ideal if you want to retrieve your bait or lure slowly and stay in the strike zone.
- A reel with a high gear ratio is perfect if you’re after a faster retrieve. Great if you’re casting for Tuna, surface fishing or just needing to present a fast moving bait.
- It’s a good idea to check on your reels spool the line capacity capabilities. This will show you roughly how much of a certain pound line will fit.
- When using braid, make sure your reel has an aluminium spool.
- Make sure your reel is never over spooled with line. Over spooling can cause tangles and decrease casting distance. A general rule is to allow 2mm from the spool lip.